The official page of the EU project on R&D and innovation funding in China and incentives
Improving EU Access to National and Regional Financial Incentives for Innovation in China (August 2018 - January 2020)
As part of a monitoring of the effective implementation of the EU-China Joint Roadmap on Ensuring Reciprocal Access to Respective Research and Innovation Funding, in August 2018 the European Commission launched the project “Improving EU Access to National and Regional Financial Incentives for Innovation in China”.
R&D and innovation funding in China: actions
The actions of the project aim to increase the contribution of European enterprises, research structures and scientists to Chinese national and local innovation funding programmes, and to enhance EU-China cooperation through joint research and innovation initiatives.
The project also provides factual evidence and technical input to the EU-China Innovation Cooperation Dialogue to improve the innovation framework conditions for European research and innovation stakeholders in China.
The following actions will be implemented and delivered under the project:
- Daily monitoring and analysis of policy and regulatory developments within the Chinese R&D and innovation sector, both at the national level and in selected regions. It helps to identify areas appearing more open for the participation of European actors, as well as challenges;
- Daily monitoring and tracking of updates within the R&D and innovation funding programmes and financial incentives in China. They are both at the national level and in selected regions, as well as under the EU-China Co-Funding Mechanisms;
- Two studies analysing general rules for participation and conditions for participation of European entities in Chinese R&D and innovation funding programmes, and identifying improvements and obstacles;
- Two workshops and one final seminar in Beijing and Shanghai, bringing together small groups of European and Chinese practitioners, researchers and industry actors. These platforms help to discuss, validate and confirm factual evidence on accessibility of China’s R&D and innovation funding programmes;
- Informal consultations with European and Chinese R&D and innovation practitioners to identify and develop good practices of participation within Chinese R&D and innovation funding programmes and incentives.
R&D and innovation funding in China: results and findings
The results and findings of these actions are regularly published on this website. All sections are accessible free of charge. An online programme database also includes information on national and local Chinese R&D and innovation funding programmes. A policy platform will summarise the main developments from the policy and regulatory level. Registration is required in order to access certain pages.
The project builds on the results and findings of a previous project initiated in July 2016 and terminated in December 2017: “Advance EU Access to Financial Incentives for Innovation in China”. The project identified concrete opportunities for European stakeholders to participate in certain Chinese R&D and innovation funding programmes – as well as significant challenges still affecting and limiting their participation. A detailed Guide was produced (now accessible from this website) to assist European stakeholders in the process. The guide aims to contribute to a larger number of European applications to Chinese R&D and innovation funding programmes.
The project is funded by the European Union, and is implemented by DEVELOPMENT Solutions Europe Ltd. – in consortium with Copenhagen Economics A/S; Cambridge Econometrics; InterAnalysis Limited; Campden BRI; AINIA; KGH Group; and Eurochambers. The project is also conducted in close cooperation with the European Union Member States, the European Union Chamber of Commerce in China, and EURAXESS China.