The High-tech “Little Giant” Enterprise is a programme launched more than 10 years ago by the Shanghai Municipal Science & Technology Commission and the Shanghai Municipal Commission of Economy and Informatisation, aimed at providing financial support to Shanghai-based high-tech MSMEs so to increase their domestic and international competitiveness. The programme is divided into two categories of projects:
- High-tech “Little Giant” Cultivation Enterprise: for smaller enterprises
- High-tech “Little Giant” Enterprise: for more advanced SMEs
Micro, small and medium-sized enterprises which have been granted HNTE status
Shanghai Municipal Science and Technology Commission; Shanghai Municipal Commission of Economy and Informatisation
20% of the R&D expenses incurred within the project implementation period will be reimbursed by the municipal government upon completion of expected project deliverables, for a maximum of 1 million RMB per enterprise (1.5 million RMB for the High-tech “Little Giant” Enterprise category).
Additional funds should also be granted according to the same proportion by the municipal government where the enterprise is located.
- Enterprise with independent legal personality in Shanghai, and which has been recognised HNTE status;
- For manufacturing enterprises, the percentage of R&D personnel employed should not be below 10% of the total employees (20% for the High-tech “Little Giant” Enterprise category); for software or S&T service enterprises, the percentage of R&D personnel employed should not be below 30% (50% for the High-tech “Little Giant” Enterprise category);
- R&D expenditure in the last three financial years should account to at least 5% of the enterprise’s total revenue over the same period; the growth rate of the enterprise’s revenue or net profits over the same period should be above 20%;
- For manufacturing enterprises, the annual revenue in the previous year should be between 30 million and 100 million RMB (or 100 million to 1 billion RMB for the High-tech “Little Giant” Enterprise category); for software or S&T service enterprises, the annual revenue should be between 20 million and 60 million RMB (or 60 million and 1 billion RMB for the High-tech “Little Giant” Enterprise category);
- The enterprise should have capable personnel and team, strong market orientation and market-response skills, and solid and flexible management and incentive schemes. For the High-tech “Little Giant” Enterprise category, the enterprise should have established an R&D body (technology centre, laboratory, testing platform) and R&D programmes, together with IPR protection and talent development mechanisms.
Date of publication
10 April 2020
Deadline for submitting applications
8 May 2020
Applications are submitted through the Shanghai Municipality’s Internet-based Science Information System.