In line with the State Council’s Plan for the Development of New Generation Artificial Intelligence (Guo Fa  No. 35), the Implementation Measures for Accelerating the High-Quality Development of Artificial Intelligence in Shanghai (Hu Jing Xin Ji  No. 569), and in order to support Shanghai’s development as a global artificial intelligence hub, the Shanghai Municipal Commission of Economy and Informatisation has launched an ad hoc programme funding every year several projects targeting the R&D, application and commercialisation of artificial intelligence technologies.
Shanghai Municipal Commission of Economy and Informatisation
Funding of up to 30% the total project’s budget.
- Maximum 3 million RMB/project for projects with a total budget not exceeding 15 million RMB;
- Maximum 20 million RMB/project for projects with a total budget exceeding 15 million RMB.
Research topics and subjects
Deepening of the development and commercialisation of core AI technologies
- AI chips
- Intelligent sensors
- Intelligent robots
- Intelligent hardware
- Unmanned systems
- Intelligent software systems
- Human-robot integration
Development of core AI application spots
- R&D and application of self-testing, self-regulating and self-adjusting intelligent industrial robots
- Deep application of AI technologies in schools, hospitals, communities, factories, as well as in regulating traffic, finance, government services, and public security
Enhancement of a supporting system for AI
- Establishment of an AI data and resource platform
The eligibility requirements for applicants include:
- Entity with independent legal personality in Shanghai, good credit, and previous experience in delivery major projects;
- The project for which the application is submitted should have already been launched, or about to be launched, and its implementation period should generally be within 2 years;
- The applicant should be the main project implementing unit and the property owner. For technology application projects, the applicant should hold the core technologies (or alternatively should cooperate very closely with the provider of the core technologies). Commercialisation projects should feature very clear and distinct deliverables and KPIs;
- The project should have not obtained any funding or financial assistance from other municipal-level programmes;
- One applicant can only apply to one project.
Date of publication
30 January 2020
Deadline for submitting applications
1 - 29 March 2020
Online applications are submitted through the web portal of the Shanghai Municipal Commission of Economy and Informatisation. Hard copy versions of the application materials should also be submitted to specific offices indicated in the application guidelines.
International participation: opportunities and figures
2 out of 64 projects approved in 2018 were allocated to foreign-invested enterprises (in both cases these were joint ventures), while in 2017 the figure was 0. More details in the specific factsheet on Shanghai funding programmes below.
Original call in Chinese (copy-paste into browser)
Implementation Rules of the Shanghai Artificial Intelligence Innovation Development Special Programme
Funding programmes available in Shanghai (including a more detailed factsheet on the Shanghai AI Development Special Programme)
- Applied research