On the basis of National Key R&D Programmes, the Guangdong Provincial Department of Science and Technology has launched a series of Provincial-level Key R&D Programmes, supporting R&D in key priority fields.
Research topics and subjects
Manufacturing of high-end marine equipment:
- Development and demonstration of deep-sea autonomous underwater vehicles for near-seafloor fine optical exploration;
- Development and demonstration of unmanned vehicle aircrafts cross-domain collaborative equipment for post-disaster monitoring of key waterways in the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macau Greater Bay Area;
- Development and demonstration of intelligent operation equipment for damage detection and repair of large marine structures.
Monitoring and protection of marine environment:
- Development and demonstration of multi-parameter in-situ environmental monitoring equipment for seafloor sediments;
- R&D and demonstration of key technologies for wave radar-based ocean monitoring network;
- Development and demonstration of Beidou-based sea-air coupling real-time monitoring in deep sea.
Development and utilisation of marine resources
- R&D of key technologies and equipment for exploration and exploitation of natural gas hydrate resources (e.g. logging while drilling and drilling wellhead stability; and 3D comprehensive large-scale experimental exploitation)
- Development and utilisation of special resources in the South China Sea (e.g. construction of big data intelligent platform for fishery resources; special marine bioresources; green ecological pasture on islands and reefs).
Applicants for Guangdong Provincial Key R&D Programmes must meet the following requirements:
- Enterprises, universities, research institutes, research structures or industrial associations legally established within Guangdong province, with strong conditions and capacities for R&D;
- Entities based in Hong Kong and Macao SARs are encouraged to apply independently or in consortium (as consortium leads);
- Strong and innovative entities based in other regions in China are also welcome to apply and will receive equal treatment, but should partner with at least one Guangdong-based entity. The project activities must also be conducted in Guangdong;
- Enterprises are encouraged to be presented as consortium leads (in this case they should generally be HNTEs or leading enterprises), and should provide additional funding (generally not less than 70% of the total project’s budget). Industry-university-research cooperation encouraged;
- Some topics require the coordinator to have previous experience in implementing National Key R&D Programmes (e.g. “Exploration and extraction of deep soil resources” NKP and “Deep water key technologies and equipment” NKP);
- The project for which the application is submitted must be in line with the priority topics and subjects appended to the annual call. Project duration is 3 years;
- The consortium lead and team leader cannot have more than three ongoing provincial- or national-level projects. Absence of negative records.
Amount of funding to be allocated
Direct funding: 10 to 20 million RMB per project (depending on the specific topic)
Date of publication
11 December 2020
Deadline for application
13 January 2020
Applications are submitted online on a dedicated project management platform. Endorsement is required from competent supervisory authorities.
International participation: opportunities and figures
Lists of selected projects are not published online. It is expected however that European entities based in Guangdong, Hong Kong or other parts of China, are equally welcome to apply (either alone or in consortium), as long as they meet the necessary requirements.
- Applied research