Similarly to other municipalities (e.g. Beijing, Shanghai, etc.), the Tianjin Municipal Science and Technology Bureau in 2018 launched, for the first time, the Tianjin New Generation Artificial Intelligence Megaproject – with the objective of generating key technology breakthroughs in core AI technologies, especially relating to data, algorithms, chips, software, communication, robots, internet-connected vehicles, drones, and smart health. The programme is expected to run at least until 2020.
1 to 5 million RMB of funding (max 25% of the total project budget for projects led by enterprises)
- Proposals in line with the specific research areas, topics and deliverables indicated in the appendixes of each annual call. These include:
- Edge computing chips;
- Cognitive computing framework;
- Intelligent control algorithms;
- Application and demonstration in Tianjin of compatible adaptations of domestically-produced software and hardware
- Application and demonstration of industrial internet, robots, etc.
- Enterprise, university or research structure registered and with legal personality in Tianjin. Enterprises not based in Tianjin may also apply, provided that they have HNTE status and that the projects will be launched in Tianjin.
- The proposed PI should be regularly employed by the consortium leader, should hold a mid to senior level position or Ph.D. degree, and should be less than 57 years’ old
- Applicants every year can submit applications to a maximum of two research topics
- There are limits on the total number of ongoing projects which can be implemented simultaneously by the proposed PI or consortium leader
Date of publication
24 May 2019
Deadline for submitting applications
27 June 2019
Applications must be submitted online through the Tianjin S&T Project Management Information System. Proposals must be first pre-evaluated by district-level authorities.
- Applied research