‘Sichuan Provincial S&T Projects’ refer to a system of programmes established by the Sichuan Provincial Department of Science & Technology to support specific activities in different innovation areas. They all follow the same legal and management framework. Around 20 specific programmes exist, ranging from basic research to technology transfer, R&D, and international cooperation.
Programmes supported in this annual call
For 2020, the following programmes will be support (non-exhaustive list):
- Applied basic research:
- “Applied basic research” programme: granting every year 100,000 RMB to 500,000 RMB to over a hundred projects (lasting 2-3 years) in the field of applied basic research, especially in key priority areas such as civil-military integration, magnetic confinement fusion, cybersecurity, transports of the future, environmental protection, cancer-related research, etc.
- Key research and development:
- “Development and commercialisation of high- and new-technologies” programme: granting every year 200,000 RMB to 500,000 RMB to tens of projects (generally lasting 2 years) supporting the development and commercialisation of new innovative technologies in different industries, such as electronics, advanced manufacturing, food and beverage, advanced materials, energy, petrochemicals, etc.
- “Agriculture and rural areas” programme: granting every year around 1 million RMB to tens of demonstration projects (lasting 3 years) for the upgrading of industry chains for products such as: poultry meat, rabbit, duck, bamboo, pepper, walnut, sericulture, Sichuan pickles, etc.
- “Social development” programme: granting every year 1 million RMB to 2 million RMB to tens of projects (lasting 2-3 years) for R&D of key core technologies in priority areas for social development, such as drugs and pharmaceuticals, medical equipment, Traditional Chinese Medicine, clinical research, shale gas, environmental pollution treatment, public safety, cultural travel, smart cities, etc.
- “International S&T cooperation” programme: supporting joint R&D projects with partners from foreign countries or Hong Kong/Macao/Taiwan (a more detailed factsheet is provided below)
- Technology transfer and conversion:
- “Technology transfer and conversion” programme: granting 500,000 RMB to 2 million RMB of funding to projects introducing key technology results within Sichuan province, especially in key priority industries such as electronics, advanced manufacturing, new materials, aerospace, etc.
- “Innovative product” programme: granting around 1 million RMB for projects focusing on the development of new, innovative products in key strategic and emerging industries, such as new energy vehicles, 5G, big data, AI, etc.
- “Agricultural technology transfer fund” programme: granting 300,000 RMB to 1 million RMB for projects introducing and commercialising key technology results in agricultural industries
- Sci-tech innovation bases, platforms and talents:
- “Sichuan S&T platforms” programme: granting 300,000 RMB to 1 million RMB to around 50 projects featuring the establishment, upgrading or maintenance of platforms supporting science, technology and innovation development, e.g. databases, repositories, etc.
- “S&T popularisation and training” programme: supporting the establishment of S&T museums, awareness-raising activities, etc.
- “Soft science research” programme: granting 100,000 RMB to 500,000 RMB to research projects targeting ‘soft science’, namely key sci-tech policies and strategies for Sichuan’s development
- “Distinguished and outstanding young scientists” programme: granting 100,000 RMB to 400,000 RMB to tens of projects led by outstanding young talents and teams, especially in remote or less developed regions within the province
- “Sci-tech innovation entrepreneurship talent” programme: granting around 300,000 RMB to entrepreneurs launching a tech start-up with indigenous IPR, especially within priority industries for development.
Eligibility requirements vary according to the specific programme, but generally the applicant/consortium lead must necessarily meet the following:
- Enterprise, university, research structure or medical structures registered and with legal personality in Sichuan province, with solid capacities and conditions for innovation
- Individual and joint applications are both welcome
- If the consortium lead is an enterprise, additional funding must be provided (at least 50% of the proposed project budget)
In addition, proposed principal investigators must be:
- Senior experts / possess Ph.D. degrees for key programmes, hired by Sichuan-based entities. Foreign experts are eligible to be proposed as PIs.
- Absence of any negative records, especially in terms of delayed, failed or terminated projects
- Applications can be submitted to only 1 project per year
Date of publication
6 August 2019
24 September 2019
Applications must be submitted via the Sichuan Province S&T Information Management System (previous registration is required). Endorsement from supervisory S&T bodies is generally required.
International participation: opportunities and figures
Very small evidence of international participation was identified in the lists of approved projects in 2019 and 2018. A few cases of wholly foreign-owned enterprises was identified in projects under the “Key research and development” area and under the “Technology transfer and conversion” area. Information on principal investigators are not available, but foreign experts are welcome to be presented as such.
More information in the dedicated page for Sichuan funding programmes on this website (link below).
Original call (in Chinese, copy paste in browser)
- Technology transfer
- Basic research
- Applied research
- International cooperation