The Shanghai Municipal Special Fund for SME Development, launched by the Municipal Commission of Economy and Informatisation, is exclusively directed to SMEs and offers support in various forms such as financial assistance, grants, loan interest subsidies, discounted loans, etc. Three categories of projects in particular are attractive for foreign-invested SMEs:
- SME Innovation Programme;
- Support Programme for SME Industrial Upgrading;
- Training Programme for SME Restructuring and Listing.
The third batch of 2019 annual calls funds projects under the first two categories.
SME Innovation Programme
Aimed at supporting SMEs to launch R&D projects especially in the fields of integrated circuits, biopharma, and artificial intelligence.
- SME established after 1 January 2014 and with independent legal personality in Shanghai;
- R&D expenditure exceeding 10% of annual operational revenue;
- Possession of IPR of the technologies showing key support to the SME’s main product;
- Good records;
- Priority granted to tech SMEs with very low or negative profits due to high R&D expenditure
Up to 1 million RMB of subsidies.
Support Programme for SME Industrial Upgrading
Aimed at providing financial support to SMEs purchasing new advanced equipment or launching technology upgrading projects such as digitalisation, intelligent product lines, automation, etc.
- SME with independent legal personality in Shanghai;
- The value of the new equipment purchased must be between 500,000 RMB and 20 million RMB. The purchase should have occurred between 1 January and 31 December 2018;
- Priority granted to the following types of equipment: CNC machines, industrial robots, additive manufacturing, intelligent sensors and controls, intelligent testing and logistics; as well as smart manufacturing software (digital production lines, intelligent factory, intelligent decision-making software, intelligent management software, etc.);
- Good credit and records.
Subsidy amounting to 5% of the value of the new equipment purchased (max 1 million RMB).
Date of publication
29 July 2019
31 August 2019
Applications are submitted through the Shanghai Municipal Commission of Economy and Informatisation’s Funding Project Management and Service Platform. Applications must first be reviewed and approved by district-level authorities.
International participation: opportunities and figures
According to the list of approved projects in 2018 and 2017, several foreign-invested SMEs are actively participating in the programme, with participation rates exceeding 10%.
Original call (in Chinese, copy paste in browser)
- Technology transfer