The “R&D Organisation” status is a recognition granted to enterprises (including specific departments responsible for technology and product development or related services) engaged in R&D and experimental development in natural sciences or in emerging and strategic sectors.
The programme is managed by the Pudong New District Science and Technology and Economy Commission. A similar one also exist for other districts in Shanghai, e.g. Minhang.
- HNTE enterprise registered and paying taxes in Pudong district, with highly-efficient management, operation and accounting procedures;
- Operational revenue in 2018 exceeding 20 million RMB, or alternatively more than 100 personnel employed;
- Over 3 million RMB in 2018 of pre-tax deductions for R&D expenses, already approved by relevant tax authorities.
- Up to 1 million RMB granted to each newly-recognised Pudong district R&D Organisation operating in microelectronics, software, biomedicine, and new energy vehicles (up to 800,000 RMB if operating in other sectors);
- Pudong district R&D Organisations that in the future are recognised as municipal-level or national-level R&D Organisations will receive additional funding (respectively up to additional 2 million RMB and 4 million RMB);
- Newly-recognised R&D Organisations with independent books and accounts, for the first three years will receive a 100% subsidy of the district-level component of value added tax, corporate income tax, or profit tax (further reduced to 50% in the three following years);
- Every year, the best performing R&D Organisations will also be eligible to obtain the Key Enterprise R&D Organisation Subsidy Fund under the Pudong District S&T Development Fund (see corresponding factsheet in the link at the end);
- R&D Organisations are also expected to receive strong endorsement and support by local authorities when applying to other funding programmes at the local level.
Date of publication
12 August 2019
12 September 2019
Applications are first submitted online through the Pudong New District Enterprise Financing Service Platform.
International participation: opportunities and figures
In 2018, over one-third of Pudong R&D Organisations were foreign-invested – including many cases of European wholly foreign-owned enterprises.
Original call (in Chinese, copy paste in browser)