The Research Fellowship for International Young Scientists (国家自然科学基金外国青年学者研究基金项目) is one category of the international cooperation programmes established by the NSFC. It is entirely dedicated to recruit highly talented young researchers based abroad to conduct research in Chinese research institutions. The aim is to promote sustainable academic collaboration and exchanges between Chinese scholars and foreign young scientists.
National Natural Science Fund
All areas of science, engineering and health research covered by the National Natural Science Fund. Alignment with the NSFC 2020 annual application guidelines (in Chinese) is strongly recommended.
Direct funding of up to 200,000 RMB for projects lasting one year, or up to 400,000 RMB for projects lasting two years
- Foreign citizenship;
- Less than 40 year’s old (by 1 January 2020), with a Ph.D. degree;
- Previous experience in conducting basic research or postdoctoral research;
- Has already signed a preliminary recruitment agreement with a host institution in mainland China;
- Commit to work full-time in the Chinese host institutions during the entire duration of the project;
- Abide by Chinese laws and relevant NSFC regulations while doing research in China.
Date of publication
15 January 2020
How to apply
Application period: 1 – 20 March 2020
Applicants must first contact a host institution in China, and sign a preliminary cooperation/recruitment agreement. The host institution will then generate an official account number and password for the applicant to login on the relevant NSFC application platform (which unlike most other programmes in China is available in English). Application forms can be submitted in English.
In addition to filling the research proposal, the following materials should also be submitted as part of the application materials:
- Signed agreement between the applicant and the host institution in China
- Notarised copy of the applicant’s PhD degree
- The first page of max. five publications written by the applicant
- National Natural Science Fund
- Basic research
- Applied research
- International cooperation