On 4 November 2019, the Beijing Big Data Promotion Office (located within the Beijing Municipal Bureau of Economy and Information Technology) issued the Work Plan to Boost the Industrial Development of Artificial Intelligence in Beijing through Public Open Data (Jing Da Shuju Ban Fa  No. 2). The document is a new attempt to standardise the procedures and mechanisms through which public data is made available open access to the society for the purpose of AI development. The specific objectives are:
- By the end of 2019: accelerate legislative development of big data utilisation in Beijing, to make big data unconditionally available open access to the society, especially in the fields of finance, credit, health, transports, and justice; establish a series of public open data bases to make, through various means e.g. competition or authorised opening, public data available to AI enterprises.
- By 2020-2021: launch a series of application scenarios for AI projects using public data, particularly in key areas e.g. Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics, public service hotline, healthcare, autonomous driving, etc.
- By 2022: completion of a legal and management system for the utilisation of public open data in AI.
The document establishes a four-grade classification system through which public open data can be made open to the society:
- Grade 1: conditional opening only available to government bodies
- Grade 2: unconditional opening only available to government bodies
- Grade 3: conditional opening to both government bodies as well as to specific application scenarios for AI projects
- Grade 4: unconditional opening through online public platforms
Every year, the Beijing Municipal Bureau of Economy and Information Technology will formulate an annual work plan for public data openness, according to which relevant municipal government bodies will need to make public data available for conditional or unconditional openness.
The document also outlines a series of priority application scenarios for which grade 3 public data will be made open, namely AI + Winter Olympics; AI + public service hotline; AI + health insurance management; AI + smart transports; AI + urban cleaning; AI + agriculture and rural areas; etc.