On 26 September 2019, the Shanghai Municipal Commission Economy and Information Technology released the Three-year Action Plan for 5G Industry Development and Application in Shanghai (2019 – 2021) (Hu Jing Xin Ji  No. 754). The Plan was formulated to boost the integrated development in Shanghai of 5G networks, technologies, products and applications.
The Plan aims to achieve, by 2021, the following objectives:
- Industry scale: 5G manufacturing, software and information services, and application industry should reach a scale of 100 billion RMB each. At least 300 5G companies, 5 of which should be leading companies entering the list of China’s Top 100 Enterprises in the electronic information industry; and 8 of which with a turnover of 10 billion RMB.
- Breakthroughs in key areas and segments: five main poles of 5G industry, in Jinqiao, Zhangjiang, Caohejing, Huawei Park, and in the G60 Sci-tech Corridor. 5G chips will have reached the leading 5nm level, while breakthroughs will have been achieved in medium and high frequency RF key devices, and optical devices. Large-scale production will have been achieved for 5G testing equipment, modules, terminals, and base station equipment; application of digital indoor systems.
- Innovation and application distribution: ten 5G innovation application demonstration bases will have been built in 10 key vertical industries; one hundred 5G innovation application benchmark enterprises will have been established; and one thousand 5G innovation application projects will have been launched.
To reach the above objectives, the Plan outlines a list of 22 key tasks that will be implemented in three main areas:
- Breakthrough in 5G core technologies, and promotion of safe and controllable 5G industry development:
- Key development of 5G core chips;
- Support the terminal industry to become stronger and bigger;
- Fostering of RF core device and test equipment industry;
- Fostering of 5G communication module Industry;
- Fostering of optical communications industry;
- Fostering of 5G communications equipment industry.
- Promotion of 5G application in ten key vertical industries:
- 5G + intelligent manufacturing;
- 5G + smart transports;
- 5G + smart hubs;
- 5G + smart healthcare;
- 5G + financial services;
- 5G + smart education;
- 5G + cultural industries and sports;
- 5G + smart travel;
- 5G + urban management;
- 5G + smart livelihood.
- Promotion of the integrated development of 5G with information industries:
- Integration of 5G and virtual reality;
- Integration of 5G with Internet-of-Things;
- Integration of 5G with Internet-connected vehicles;
- Integration of 5G with ultra-high-resolution videos;
- Integration of 5G with edge computing;
- Integration of 5G with safety technologies.
During the implementation of the above tasks, cooperation and exchange with actors from other areas (especially from the Yangtze River Delta) will be supported; efforts will be made to encourage local districts and parks to attract innovative industry actors to relocate to Shanghai. Finally, all actors are encouraged to make full use of existing funding programmes in Shanghai for the execution of the above tasks, e.g. the Shanghai Industrial Transformation and Upgrading Special Programme. Complementary support, both administrative and financial, will be ensured to local enterprises participating in 5G-related national tasks.