The China Robotics Industry Development Report (2019) was released at the end of the World Robot Conference 2019, which took place in Beijing from 20 to 25 August. A few highlights of the Report include:
- The market size of China’s robotics industry in 2019 is expected to reach 8.68 billion USD (average growth of 21% from 2014 to 2019);
- China is expected to be confirmed as the world’s first country for industrial robots (5.73 billion USD, 66% of total share). Chinese domestically-produced industrial robots are gradually obtaining global recognition;
- The market for service robots in China is growing steadily, with the market size for 2019 expected to reach 2.2 billion USD (+33% on the previous year). The sector is led by household robots and robots for public spaces. China’s level of technology for service robots has already bridged the gap with the US and Europe;
- The market for special robots (e.g. disaster and hazard rescue robots, drones, submersibles, etc.) is also expanding rapidly thanks to growing internal demand, and it is expected to reach 750 million USD in 2019;
- The Yangtze River Delta is the area with the strongest foundations for industrial development, while the Jing-Jin-Ji region is the one growing most rapidly in terms of industrial innovation. For instance, Beijing is constantly achieving major breakthroughs thanks to the introduction of artificial intelligence technologies in robots.
The World Robot Conference is a major event held annually in Beijing, hosted by the Beijing Municipal Government and supported by the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology. It attracts hundreds of experts from both industry and academia to discuss on several aspects of the robotics industry, to showcase the latest technological achievements, etc. It also hosts entrepreneurship and start-up competitions in the robotics industry.